Friday, February 20, 2009

Fayose sings again…not my kind of song!

“You know the kind of person Obasanjo is. Even if he takes your wife, he will still not apologize.” Yah! You read it right. But I didn’t say them. These were the exact words of Mr Ayo Fayose, the former governor of Ekiti State, yesterday at 8pm on a TVC programme “Fireworks” with Ugochukwu Emezue, the anchorman.

My gawd! That Ugochukwu guy has guts, and fears no hits from anybody. His questions are unexpected and punchy. I had watched him take on various politicians and public figures in merciless interrogative sessions. That’s why I took to him even far back then when he presented Head 2 Head on STV. The programme has the same bite as that on TVC. It’s a no-holds-barred. If only most TV programmes are like this, guess, evil doers will sit up.

Ever since his removal from office under controversial circumstances and on-going prosecution by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Fayose has been singing like the canary bird. He likes to be heard.

Earlier on Linktrip that same day on TVC, I had watched Yori (the ex-anchorman of Sunrise Daily on Channels) and Ugochukwu play hosts to Dr Kayode Fayemi, the AC governorship candidate in Ekiti State. My lachrymal glad swelled but I fought the emotions as people phoned into the programme to heap praises on the guest. As I watch him speak, my mind went to the late youthful president of America, JF Kennedy. And I couldn’t help the comparison of him with JFK and the contrast with Fayose.

Fayemi is sound, highly educated, eloquent and bright with ideas. He stands out on intelligence. Shouldn’t he have been the governor in the first place considering the slogan of the state “Fountain of Knowledge”, but here in Nigeria the popular candidates don’t always win elections. Did I say popular? Yes, I did. I have not met Fayemi, and have never talked to him. But I drew my inference on his popularity from that programme I watched. Please, don’t say am myopic. He was in Lagos, faraway from Ekiti. Yet, callers from different divides called and hailed him. All the callers had nice words for him. Doesn’t that speak volumes?

Well, back to Fayose. He blames Obasanjo (Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, ex-president of Nigeria) for his woes. But who would’ve forgotten how he extolled Obasanjo during his days as governor while their political romance lasted. As I type this, I smile to myself remembering his famous comment, “If Obasanjo tells me to slap someone, I will slap the person without asking why.” So, why is he (Fayose) crying blue murder now? Doesn’t he know that what goes around comes around, and that the law of karma still exists? Now, I know say the guy don know how far.

So, stop singing, Mr. Former governor. Let our ear drums know peace!

No comments: