Saturday, February 21, 2009

Right for Wrong?

I had for some time planned to go see George who told me he worked with the Champions’ newspaper. We were course mates at the university. I got his digits from another course mate after 7years we left school. Gave George a call, and it was all screams! The banters were reassuring, and so our bond reformed. We put up several appointments which we never kept. But we spoke often on phone…we allowed it that way.

Then suddenly his phone went dead for weeks. It never bothered me until another course mate called from Imo State complaining of his inability to reach George. Then I decided to go check him up at the Champions’ House.

Abi, Champions House no be office for person wey dey work for Champions newspaper Lagos branch?
But I got there. Nobody seemed to know my friend worked there. They swore they never heard that nomenclature. I told them he worked in the editorials (my assumption) and that the last time we spoke on the phone he told me he was on permanent night. A check was run. Still, nobody knew him. My friend is not the funky type…so I couldn’t bring myself up to think he could’ve changed his name.

“Are you sure that is his name?” The receptionist jolted me to reality.
“Yes Sir, that’s his name. We were course mates at school.”
But on a second thought…Maybe George uses another name there. And I wasn’t in the mood to argue. Na im I carry my skeletal frame comot there at once.

As I headed home, I reflected on the chilled palm wine I had at Don’s place an hour ago. These hawkers certainly know how to step up their game. I never knew anybody could chill and sell palm wine. But there it was before me.

“Guy, this palm wine cold o…” I commented, wondering when my friend chilled it because he bought it in my presence.
“Na so the guy dey sell am.” Don offered an explanation.

Don truly knows how to treat me to choice drinks. The last time I visited, Irish cream, Guinness and Gordons Spark littered the table. Just the two of us. But today, I needed a clear head for I had gone there to seal up a deal on the new website we were working on. We too want to join the millionaire club na. Who no like better thing?

No comments: